Building a Joomla website is very easy if you know how to do it. If you are new to Joomla, this tutorial will help you to get started. Whatever you are building a personal or a business website, there are some steps you should follow.
As you may already know, Joomla is one of the most popular content management systems at this moment and thousands of websites are running on Joomla system. So can you trust Joomla? The short answer is: yes! While so many popular websites such as Linux.com the Harvard University and other websites are relying on Joomla, you can trust Joomla too.
This tutorial will focus mostly on showing you the process of creating a Joomla website from the installation to publishing articles. In the next section you will learn about:
- Why to choose a good web host for your Joomla website?
- How to install and configure Joomla?
- How to choose the right extensions and template for your Joomla site?
Choose a reliable Joomla web host
About this topic you will find more details in our other tutorial, which will help you, choose the best joomla host, but I wanted to mention the importance of the hosting provider here also.
Joomla is a great system, with a certain level of complexity. While it has so many in-built features, an average web host will not be good for your website. There are many hosting companies that allow you to install Joomla to their servers, but the truth is that most of them don’t have the right configuration to support your Joomla website at full capacity.
It is important to select a hosting provider that offer web hosting plans that are specially configured for Joomla. It would be good if the company you are going to choose to offer some sort of support for your Joomla site. In the linked page you can find more information about joomla hosting providers.
How to install Joomla to your domain?
If you have signed up with a host that offers a free domain name, then your domain is already assigned to your control panel. However, if your domain is registered somewhere else, not at the company you have a hosting plan, you will have to change the name servers as well to add the domain to your hosting account. Once you are done with this step, you can install Joomla.
There are two ways to install Joomla:
- Install Joomla manually
- Install Joomla semi-automatically
Manual Joomla Installation
This is a longer and bit complicated process, is may not be suitable for newbie users. Here is detailed tutorial on how to manually install joomla. I will also give you the steps you have to follow if you choose to manually install Joomla:
- Download the latest Joomla version from Joomla.org
- Upload the files to your hosting account using FTP client or File Manager
- Create a MySQL database and add a database user to it with “All Privileges” setting
- Access your website or the folder where you have uploaded the files to start the installation
- Choose the necessary settings for your website such as: site name, admin login info, language
- Connect the files to the database you created earlier
- Choose to install sample data and finish the installation
- Once the installation is finished, remove the “Installation” folder by clicking on the button
This may sound overwhelming, but there is a simpler way to install the Joomla CMS to your site.
Semi-automatic Joomla Installation
If you want to save yourself from all the above mentioned steps, choose a hosting provider that has a so called one-click installation tool. This tool will help you install not only Joomla but other software as well, within minutes and in just couple of clicks. For instance, InMotion hosting offers one-click installation tool in their control panel. Here is a quick overview of the automatic installation:
- Click on the one-click installation tool (Softaculous or other that is available with your hosting)
- Click on the Joomla logo and choose Joomla version (you should always go with the latest version)
- Choose the domain you want to install to and set admin login info
- Click on the install button and wait couple of seconds
You are done and you can check your website online. It is so much easier to install joomla using a tool then manually moving files around and creating databases.
Building your Joomla website
Now that you have successfully installed Joomla to your domain, you are ready to actually start building your website. In this tutorial I have wrote about the 10 things you should do after installing Joomla. Probably you should also check out this page, because here you will find more details.
- So to get started you should follow these steps:
- Activate search engine friendly URLs and URL rewriting for SEO purposes
- Set up category structure and publish some articles you will use in early development
- Search and choose the components, modules and plugins you need (only install what you really need to keep your website clean and fast)
- Create the menu structure, add sub-menus for easier navigation
- Choose a Joomla template that fits your website topic the best and install it to your website
- Setup modules and make your pages pretty by alternating layout styles
Start driving traffic and keep adding content
So, at this stage you are done with the website building. It is possible that in the future you may want to tweak few thinks on your site here and there, but that can be done anytime. Your next big goal is to find ways to drive in traffic to your website.
To attract readers you can post new articles on a regular basis. You can also use different networks to advertise your website and build up an audience. This however will take much time and effort, but if you have a reliable web host and know how to manage your website, you have a won battle.